Tuesday, December 6, 2011

NaBloPoMo Day SIX!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011
Do you like to try to guess your gifts ahead of time?





Well, this is a dumb question...lol.  How am I supposed to write an entire blog about this?  Time to get the thinking cap on, I guess.




I hate surprises.  Wait.  That isn't entirely accurate.  I hate surprises when I know they are coming.  Does that even make sense?  You know how sometimes someone will say something along the lines of "I got you something REALLY cool, you are gonna be SO surprised!", but you can't have that "something" right at that moment?  I HATE that.  It actually puts me in a REALLY bad mood.  If I don't know that "something" is coming, then I don't have time to think about it, so it's not a big deal.  Those are the kinds of surprises I like...the ones people don't warn you about.


As far as guessing presents...yeah, I suck at that.  You can give me a hockey stick, wrapped as a hockey stick, and there is a 99% chance that I will guess it's something completely different.  So I don't even try anymore.  Besides, that takes precious time that I could be spending opening it and finding out what it actually is!  Also, what if I guessed something really expensive, and it ended up being something really cheap, and then, well, I'd probably hurt the feelings of the gift giver, and that defeats the whole purpose to begin with.  


This question reminded me of my step-dad.  Now HE is a good gift guesser.  I remember one year for Christmas, we got him an engraved door knocker.  We wrapped it up tightly in a towel, so it wouldn't "knock" when he shook it while attempting to guess what it was.  I can remember him turning that box over and over, and all around, and shaking it.  Within a few seconds, he made his guess....and he was right.  How-in-the-heck?  How would he KNOW it was a door knocker.  He didn't ask for one, my brother and I never told him we got him one, he doesn't have x-ray vision, my mom was pretty good at hiding stuff....to this day, I have not a clue how he knew.  


For many years I wished I had his ability to do that.  Then I realized that I would spend the entire month analyzing the gifts under the tree, and the anticipation would drive me nuts.  I am a woman of VERY little patience (shocker, I know) and I know that it wouldn't be long before I was trying to sneak a peek at the inside of those packages.  I AM, however, a woman with a really good ability to ignore the things I don't know exist.  So if I just avoid looking under the tree at all, I can forget there is anything down there with my name on it.




this blog has done nothing but make me want to go look under the tree now...must.stay.strong.

1 comment: