Monday, December 12, 2011

NaBloPoMo Day 12!

Monday, December 12, 2011
What gift do you regret losing?





This one is actually pretty easy for me...I know exactly what it is.


My Granny died when I was still pretty young.  I don't have a lot of memories of her, but I have a few.  She had the Shel Silverstein poem, The Loser, hanging from her fridge.  I still remember every single word to that poem, and it's one of my favorites to this day.  Click here to view it: The Loser


I remember that when we would visit Granny, we would sneak down to the neighbors and steal apples from his tree.  While we know now that he knew we were doing it, at the time we felt pretty darn cool.  I remember what Grannys kitchen looked like, and her living room, and her bathroom, but nothing else about the house.


And I remember her being sick.  For all the memories I have of her, I remember her being sick.  And us having to go over and help her with her medications and insulin and bags...and it sucked.  Not because I didn't want to be there, but because I knew that was how I was gonna remember what my Granny looked like.


When she died, all I wanted was this little homemade doll, that slept in a cradle that was made from something like an oatmeal box.  I can remember exactly what it looked like, to the cradle being painted brown, and lined with delicate lace.  I'm pretty sure the doll was made out of something like panty hose stuffed with cotton...not really very "doll" like, but I always played with it when we were over there.  Somehow, I was lucky enough to get it.


And that is the last thing I remember about that doll.  I'm angry that I didn't do more to preserve it, because looking back now, I would give anything to have that doll...or anything from my granny for that matter.  I don't even have a picture.  I sometimes envy families with their closeness and traditions...memories.  I don't have that, with any of my grandparents.  I guess that is why I am so determined not to let that happen with my own grandkids.

1 comment:

  1. First off I gotta laugh cause I LOVE that poem too.

    Secondly I'm so sorry you don't have more memories from your Granny. I know you won't let them happen with your grandkids. I wish I could share my grandparents with you. Well I have shared alot of stuff from my Grandpa with you at least haha.

    ReplyDelete