Friday, June 29, 2012

Death Mission Day 3a

Today was day 3 of the 5K training.  Temps were nearly 25 degrees cooler than when we ran last night, so we were pretty excited about that.  We, Erica and I, had both agreed just to walk tonight, afraid we would over-do ourselves.

So, we met for a quick dinner, and soon hit the pavement.  But the strangest thing happened.  Though we had both agreed to just "walk" tonight, we both found ourselves totally motivated to run.  And so we did.  However, we decided to just repeat Day 1s training, which consisted of walking for 1.5 minutes, running for 1 minute, walking for 1.5, running for 1...repeating this for 25 minutes.  The first night we tried this, it about killed us both.  We were gasping for breathe, wanting to puke, keel over....something.  Tonight, after the first run portion, we both looked at each other and said "thats it?"  It was SO super simple.  I'm not saying ALL reps were that easy, but we were so much better at it than the first night, it shocked us both.  We continued on for the whole 25 minutes, and felt INCREDIBLE after!

I'm not going to lie.  My ass still hurts.  My blisters still hurt, my tendons are tensed....I just hurt.  But, I also feel AMAZING!  It is taking all I have not to head outside and run some more, except that it is lightning out, and it's almost 2AM.

And while at work tonight, I talked to Dr. Steve again, about him running a 5K with us, if we both made it to that point.  His response was simply "how could I not?"  And that made me feel pretty incredible.  Because if my boss, who runs, a lot, is willing to run with us, he must be pretty proud of the choices we are making, and that is a darn good feeling.  I'm trying to use that promise to us as my motivation to do this thing!  So after my conversation with him, I went and got on the scale.  I realize they say you are only supposed to do this like once a month, so you don't get discouraged, but I really was curious.  I about hit the floor when I saw that I had dropped 2.5lbs in the first 3 days!  Healthier food choices, combined with the running, really is making a difference, and that feels pretty darn good.

So with this blog comes the good, but also must come the ugly.  Unfortunately, we didn't think to get a picture of ourselves on Day 1.  I imagine it to look a LOT like our photo from Day 2, as that day was in 108* heat index weather.  I hope to someday be one of those people that posts an "after photo" that looks NOTHING like what these photos do, which is the ONLY reason I am posting them.  Keep rooting us on, everyone, we need the support!

Day 2, 108* heat index, 35 minutes of training.  
Day 3a.  Converted back to 25 minutes of training,
but we KILLED that 25 minutes!

1 comment: